VineCo Original Series: Sangiovese (Red) Italy
What are We Drinking?
Savor the Essence of Italy!
Indulge in the allure of Italy with our recent exploration – the Sangiovese from VineCo’s Original Series. Crafted in a swift 4-week timeframe, this Sangiovese captures the very essence of Italy’s diverse terroirs, making it an irresistible choice for discerning wine enthusiasts.
The Italian Symphony: Sangiovese Unveiled
- Tasting Notes: There is a rich tapestry of flavors here, where sour cherry, strawberry, and prune take center stage. This Sangiovese is a great expression of Italy’s terroir, painting a vivid portrait with each sip.
- Commentary: Wine Enthusiast describes Sangiovese with red berry and floral sensations, and this complements our tasting experience and underlining the grape’s ability to convey its terroir.
The Grape’s Heritage:
- A Historic Journey: Sangiovese, a grape deeply rooted in Italy’s winemaking history, has been cultivated for centuries. Its name is believed to originate from “sanguis Jovis,” meaning “the blood of Jupiter,” reflecting its importance and reverence. It is typically found in the Tuscany region.
- The Heart of Chianti: Recognized as the principal grape in Chianti, Sangiovese plays a pivotal role in Italy’s winemaking tradition. Its adaptable nature allows winemakers to craft a spectrum of wines, from light and fruity to bold and complex. Apart from Chianti, you’ll find Sangiovese grapes in Montalcino and Super Tuscan wines.
- Versatility: Sangiovese produces medium to full-bodied wines with medium-to-full tannins, vivid red and black fruit flavours, and distinctive peppery and savoury accents.
The Body, The Oak, The Harmony:
- Dry with a Light-Medium Body: This Sangiovese dances on the palate, offering a dry, light-medium body that encourages savouring every sip. It strikes the perfect balance between delicacy and depth.
- A Gentle Oak Embrace: Opting for a lighter oak influence, this Sangiovese allows the fruit’s natural brilliance to shine. The result is a harmoniously balanced profile, a true reflection of the grape’s inherent character. The fruit of the grape is prioritized over heavy oak notes.
Comparative Sip: A Journey Beyond the GSM Blend
- Full-Bodied Elegance: Contrasting with our previous Grenache Shiraz Mourvèdre (GSM) venture, the Sangiovese ventures towards a fuller body. However, with less oak, it offers a richness without that extra weight that we found in the Malbec we tasted a few weeks earlier. This is a great choice if you want depth of flavour without the heaviness you’ll find in the Malbec.
- Italian Culinary Harmony: Sangiovese is not just a wine; it’s an accompaniment to Italy’s culinary heritage. Pair it with classic dishes like spaghetti Bolognese, lasagna, or grilled meats with rosemary for a truly authentic experience.
- Versatility on the Table: Ideal with Italian cuisine, Sangiovese’s adaptability extends to a variety of other cuisines. Try it with Greek, Spanish or even some middle eastern dishes, as well as hearty stews, steak, lamb, and roast pork. The bright acidity and red fruit notes make it a versatile partner for many dishes.
In summary, the Vineco Original Series Sangiovese offers a sensory journey through Italy’s diverse landscapes. With its vibrant flavors, balanced body, and subtle oak influence, it stands as a testament to the artistry of Italian winemaking. It’s going to be a perfect wine for anyone exploring red wines, or for red wine enthusiasts looking for something less heavy than a Malbec, Shiraz, or Cabernet Sauvignon. Whether you’re a seasoned enthusiast or a curious newcomer, this Sangiovese promises a captivating exploration of the Italian wine heritage.
If you are interested in this Italian Sangiovese or any other wine variety, send us an email or drop by for a chat! We’d be happy to find a wine that fits you and your budget.